Industrial engineering is a branch of engineering dealing with the technical management of complex and integrated processes or systems of people, resources, knowledge, information, equipment, energy, materials, etc, with the objective of development, implementation, evaluation, improvement, optimization and prediction of the results to be obtained from such systems or processes. Industrial Engineering is recognized as a leading profession whose practitioners; plan, design, implement and manage integrated production and service delivery systems that assure; performance, reliability, maintainability, schedule adherence and control. These systems may be socio-technical in nature and integrate people, information, material, equipment, processes, and energy throughout the life cycle of the product, service or program.The Industrial Engineering profession adopts as its goals profitability, effectiveness, efficiency, adaptability, responsiveness, quality and the continuous improvement of systems and products throughout their life cycles. The humanities and social sciences (including) economics, computer services, basic sciences, management sciences, highly developed communication skills along with physical, behavioral, mathematical, statistical, organizational and ethical concepts are used to achieve these ends.
This program hosted by the mechanical engineering department is intended for engineers with suitable qualifications and/or professional experience who wish to enhance their expertise in management of technical systems. The courses are designed to help the candidate develop a capability for independent pursuit of research and scholarly works, as well as meeting the requirements of industries through application of the technology.
The objectives of this Masters program are to;
- Train engineers in the sound principles of Industrial Engineering & Management.
- Equip engineers with the knowledge to handle the intrinsic complexities of management and modern technology.
- Train engineers in sound management of technical systems and provide them with adequate knowledge of decision-making mechanisms.
- Train engineers to be analytical, resourceful and inventive while combining organizational skills and technology.
- Equip engineers with better communication skills.
At the end of the program a graduate in Masters of Science in Industrial Engineering is expected to acquire the following knowledge, skills and attitude:
- The MSc graduate has obtained knowledge about following themes: Facilities planning and design, process engineering, work design, system engineering, operations management, operation research, costing and engineering economy.
- The MSc graduate is able to develop plans and designs, as well as implement and manage production and service delivery systems.
- The MSc graduate is able to initiate and sustain continuous improvement of products and services throughout their life cycles
- The MSc graduate is able to effectively identify problem and initiate research to solve them.
- The MSc graduate is able to make key decisions in his/her area of specialization.
- The MSc graduate has acquired knowledge to optimize the performance of the Industrial systems by analyzing the complex data and information, and effectively deciding on the best alternatives.
- The MSc graduate has obtained knowledge and insight to prepare and evaluate Industrial engineering projects.
- The MSc graduate is able to identify relevant problems in the Industrial engineering field.
- The MSc graduate is capable of collecting adequate and relevant data in an ethically responsible manner.
- The MSc graduate can interpret and critically analyze data.
- The MSc graduate is able to formulate adequate and sound solution models for complex problems.
- The MSc graduate can report in a professional manner, transfer knowledge to others, hold scientifically based presentations, and can publish research results in scientific media.
- The MSc graduate is capable of monitoring and evaluating implemented solutions to Industrial engineering field related problems.
- The MSc graduate is capable of taking initiatives, to take the lead in a team and to cooperate with others.
- The MSc graduate is able to provide sound guidance in the field of Industrial Engineering.
- Effectively disseminate the Industrial Engineering knowledge, while training/inducting other people.
- Be engaged in life-long learning and application of Industrial Engineering.
The following shall be eligible for admission for the degree of Master of Science in Industrial Engineering and Management:
a) A holder of a Bachelor’s of Science of an Engineering degree, with at least second class honours, upper division, from DeKUT or from any other institution which is recognized by the university senate as being of equivalent academic status
b) A holder of a Bachelor of Science of an Engineering degree, with Second Class honours- Lower division in the Engineering disciplines outlined above and with at least 2 years work experience.
Duration and Structure
a) The Masters of Science in Industrial Engineering & Management is a Two-Year program. It consists of:
- Compulsory Units: 6 units
- Core Elective Units: At least Three (3) units
- Other Elective Courses: At most two (2) units
- Thesis Research: counting for 12 units
b) The Master of Science degree programme shall take a minimum period of eighteen (18) calendar months.
c) No candidate for the Master of Science degree shall be registered as a full time student for more than thirty six (36) months.
d)Each candidate shall take a total of 12 units, from which seven (7) are compulsory units and six (5) elective units, which at least four(4) will be core elective units, and utmost two (2) will be selected from a group of other elective courses.
e) The first year of study shall be devoted to coursework and examinations.
f) The second year of study shall be devoted to carrying out of a research work and presentations of thesis.