Bachelor of Technology with Education (Mechanical Technology) programme is designed to expose learners to hands-on training requisite to address the current Mechanical Technology knowledge and skills gap in the country. The graduates from this programme are expected to be dedicated, confident, competitive and resourceful. Through the programme, they will be mounded into dependable trainers that will provide the much needed expertise to spur economic growth at the national and global levels by providing the requisite skilled human resource.
- Implement the Technical and Vocational Education curriculum in Mechanical Technology using competence-based approaches in secondary and middle level tertiary institutions
- Carry out research in Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET).
- Provide leadership in Technical and Vocational Training institutions.
- To provide the education and training necessary to become entrepreneurs in the fields of mechanical technology
- Equip students with relevant technical skills requisite for lifelong learning, employment in industry and institutions
- Prepare students for the rigors of post graduate studies.
a) Direct Entry
Applicants must satisfy any of the following requirements as required by the University Senate;
Mean Grade of C+ and a minimum of C+ in the subjects indicated below: –
NB: A candidate who fails to meet one of the above subject grades may be admitted into the program provided they have a Bridging Certificate from a institution recognized by DeKUT senate and must have had at least a credit pass
Kenya Advanced Certificate of Education (KACE) applicants:
For holders of Kenya Advanced Certificate of Education (KACE) or the A-level equivalent should satisfy all the requirements below:
- At least two Principal Passes in Mathematics and Physics and two subsidiaries.
- At least a Credit Pass in Chemistry and English at the KCE or its equivalent.
b) Indirect Entry
i) Higher National Diploma holders:
- A candidate, who holds a Higher National Diploma in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline from the Kenya National Examination Council (KNEC) or any other examining body recognized by the University Senate, shall be admitted into the Third Year of Study.
- Higher National Diploma holders without a Diploma in Education shall be required to undertake all the pedagogical courses offered in the First and Second Year of study.
ii) Diploma holders:
- A candidate, who holds a KNEC Diploma in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline with a Credit or Distinction, or an equivalent Diploma from any other examining body recognized by the University Senate, shall be admitted into the Second Year of Study.
- A candidate who holds a KNEC Diploma in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline, or from any other examining body recognized by the University Senate, with a Pass, shall be admitted into the First Year of study.
- Diploma holders without a Diploma in Education shall be required to undertake all the pedagogical courses offered in the First Year of study.
Duration: 4 YEARS
Location: Main Campus
Mode of study: Full Time